If you are wondering how to reset the water filter light on Samsung refrigerator, you are in the right place.
Modern Samsung refrigerators come with indicators that alert you when it’s time to change the water filter.
On most Samsung refrigerators, these indicators are orange, yellow, or blue lights. When the filter light turns on, it’s time to replace the water filter and reset the indicator light.
The method is straightforward on most Samsung refrigerators, with little variance across models.
We’re going to take you through everything you need to know about these appliances and provide you with the necessary steps to reset the filter light. Read on to learn more below.
What Is a Samsung Water Filter Light?
The Samsung water filter light is an indicator light found on most Samsung refrigerators. When the water filter light turns on, the refrigerator is letting you know that it’s time to change the water filter. Samsung filter lights can be orange, blue, pink, and even red.
Typically, the color of the light lets you know how urgent replacing the water filter is. For example, a red light means that it needs to be replaced immediately, while an orange light acts as the first warning.
Orange, blue, and pink water filter lights are warning lights, whereas red water filter lights mean the filter is no longer functioning.
Pink indicator lights mean that the warning has progressed from the beginning phases and the initial warning light can either be blue or orange. Knowing which lights your Samsung refrigerator has can help you determine when it’s time to replace the water filter and reset the lights.
If you’re not sure, you can always use your owner’s manual as a reference or look for the product number online.
What Is a Samsung Water Filter?
A Samsung water filter is a device that filters water in Samsung refrigerators. These water filters remove up to 80% more contaminants than other filters and prevent leaks from happening.
There are a few types of Samsung water filters but they all serve the same purpose. Ultimately, these water filters are designed to filter drinking water and secure hoses to prevent leaks.
You can also choose between a few types of Samsung water filters depending on your Samsung refrigerator.
How Long Do Samsung Water Filters Last?
Samsung water filters can filter 500 gallons of water before needing to be replaced. Typically, a Samsung refrigerator filters 50 gallons of water per month.
The maximum amount of water a Samsung filter can filter is 500 gallons. Based on how much water is filtered per month (on average), Samsung water filters last for between 5 and 6 months. Most Samsung water filter lights turn orange after 5 months and red after 6 months.
What Color Is the Samsung Water Filter Light?
The water filter light first turns blue, green, or orange after it has filtered 450 gallons of water. Once the filter reaches 500 gallons of water, the light shifts from lighter colors to bright red.
When a Samsung water filter light is bright red it’s time to replace the water filter and reset the filter light.
Pink is another common color of Samsung water filter lights. On models that have the orange light, the indicator will turn pink at 475 gallons before turning red at 500 gallons. The pink light serves as an additional warning.
How to Change a Samsung Refrigerator Water Filter
Samsung refrigerators have water filters that need to be changed at least once every 6 months. When a filter needs to be changed the water filter indicator light will turn on.
To reset the water filter light you need to start by changing the filter on your Samsung refrigerator. We’ll cover the steps to change each water filter.
Changing HAF-CIN and HAF-QIN Samsung Water Filters
Use your owner’s manual to identify what type of water filter you have. HAF-CIN and HAF-QIN water filters are the most common and can be found in most Samsung refrigerators from the factory. Replacing these filters can be done in a few steps. Follow the steps below to replace HAF-CIN and HAF-QIN water filters:
- Use your owner’s manual to locate the water filter.
- Turn off the water supply to the Samsung refrigerator.
- Open the water filter cover.
- Turn the filter counterclockwise (this unlocks it).
- Pull the water filter straight out of the refrigerator.
- Remove the protection cap from the top of the filter.
- Push the filter into the housing.
- Turn the filter clockwise to lock it in place.
- Ensure that the lock symbol is in-line with the indicator line.
- Turn the water supply back on and divert it to the refrigerator.
If you can pour water into a glass from your Samsung refrigerator after following these steps, you’ve successfully changed the water filter.
Changing HAFCU1 Samsung Water Filters
HAFCU1 filters are also Samsung water filters. These filters are found in many Samsung refrigerators and use more air than other filters to filter water. To change these water filters in Samsung refrigerators, follow the steps below.
- Cut off the water supply that goes to the refrigerator.
- Use your owner’s manual to locate the Samsung water filter.
- Remove the old filter by twisting it to the left. This unlocks it from the housing.
- From there, pull the water filter down from the housing.
- Insert the new Samsung water filter by pushing it up and turning it clockwise.
- Ensure that the notch at the top of the filter is in-line with the arrow that’s on the housing of the filter.
- Flush out a few gallons of water to remove impurities from the air.
- Test the filter and check for leaks.
Following these steps will help you change Samsung water filters. After the water filter is replaced, you can move on to resetting the water filter light.
Download this cheat sheet to hack your monthly electric bill.
How to Reset the Water Filter Light on Your Samsung Refrigerator
In most cases, resetting the filter light on a Samsung refrigerator can be done in a few easy steps. Most Samsung refrigerators have a filter or ice/water button that needs to be pushed in for a few seconds.
Other Samsung refrigerators require you to hold the filter and ice/water buttons at the same time. Depending on the refrigerator you have the steps needed to reset the water filter light vary. Below we cover the steps for each model.
Most Samsung refrigerators have simple steps to reset the water filter light. These steps vary based on the types of buttons you have, so we recommend checking the owner’s manual before getting started. Below are the steps to reset the water filter light on the majority of Samsung refrigerators.
- Look for the “filter reset” button on the control panel. Some Samsung refrigerators use the “water” or “alarm” buttons as filter reset buttons.
- Press the button and hold it for about 3 seconds. Some older models can take up to 5 seconds, so wait until the light changes.
- The filter light will turn off or become its usual color. On models that have blue or green lights, the light will turn from red to blue or green. On Samsung refrigerators with orange lights, the light won’t turn on for another 5 or 6 months.
If the water filter light does not return to its normal status after following these steps, it’s time to troubleshoot the problem.
RF4289 and RSG309 Models
Samsung refrigerators with model numbers RF4289 and RSF309 can also have their water filter lights reset. When working with these Samsung refrigerators the steps are different from the general steps.
These models have different menus and methods for navigating those menus. To reset the filter light on Samsung refrigerators with model numbers RF4289 and RSG309 follow the steps below.
- Use your owner’s manual to learn about how to navigate the menu (if you’re unfamiliar).
- Select the settings menu at the bottom of the display.
- Scroll through the settings until you find the water filter icon and press it.
- When settings for the water filter appear on the screen, navigate to the last page of the settings. There are 4 pages to scroll through until you reach the end; the display will say 4/4.
- Locate the reset water filter button and select it.
- Hold the button until the water filter status changes.
- Wait for the screen to display “filter replaced.”
- Once “filter replaced” goes away select “save.”
After following these steps the water filter light will turn off.
Family Hub Models
Family Hub Samsung refrigerators are advanced appliances with numerous settings. Resetting the water filter light on these units is also hassle-free. Below are the steps to reset the water filter light on Family Hub Samsung refrigerators.
- On the home screen of your Family Hub refrigerator, select the apps menu.
- Once the app’s menu is open, scroll to “fridge manager” and select it.
- Locate and select “fridge settings.”
- Find the water filter section and select it.
- After you tap the water filter button select “reset.”
- Then, select “proceed.”
On Family Hub Samsung refrigerators you can also tap “buy filter.” To order a Samsung water filter straight to your door. All of this can be done on the refrigerator screen.
Side-by-Side Samsung Refrigerators
Side-by-side Samsung refrigerators have unique steps to follow because the water filter reset button is less obvious than in other models. For example, the reset button is the “water” button. To reset the water filter light on side-by-side Samsung refrigerators, follow the steps below.
- Replace or check the water filter.
- Locate the “water” button on the refrigerator panel.
- Press and hold the “water” button until the water filter light turns off.
- The water filter indicator light should turn off.
If the water filter indicator light does not turn off, there’s an issue with the software or hardware.
Troubleshooting a Water Filter Light That Won’t Turn Off
Samsung refrigerators are advanced machines, so getting some lights to turn off can be tricky. If you’ve replaced the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator and reset the filter light, the light should turn off. When the filter light doesn’t turn off, there are a few ways you can troubleshoot the problem to see what’s wrong.
Make Sure It’s the Right Water Filter
Some Samsung refrigerators need to use specific water filters. Using the wrong water filter in these refrigerators will lead to problems and cause the refrigerator to not register that a filter has been replaced. If you reset the water filter light and replaced the water filter light but the light stays on, you might have the wrong filter. To make sure you have the right filter moving forward, always check the owner’s manual of your Samsung refrigerator before replacing the filter. Doing so will prevent this problem from happening.
Make Sure the Water Filter Was Installed Properly
Installing a Samsung water filter the wrong way will cause the indicator light to remain on. Therefore, it’s important to ensure that the water filter was installed properly. Make sure the filter is turned 90 degrees in the seat and locked in place.
Then, make sure the filter touches the bottom of the housing. If the water filter doesn’t touch the bottom of the housing the Samsung refrigerator won’t register the new water filter. In these cases, installing the water filter properly will turn the water filter light off.
Check on the Display
The Samsung display can also malfunction and cause the water filter light to remain on. When this happens, your Samsung refrigerator will create an error code, which can be referenced online or in the owner’s manual.
Sometimes a display malfunction can also create software problems that need to be fixed by a technician. If you’ve tried everything and the water filter light won’t turn off, check with an experienced Samsung technician.
Clean Water Is Healthy Water
If the filter indicator light on your Samsung refrigerator turns on, it’s important to change the water and reset the light as soon as possible. Failing to change the filter can result in unfiltered water, which can be dangerous to drink. The good news is that most Samsung refrigerators make it easy to change the filter and reset the light.
As long as you follow the steps we covered in this guide, you’ll have no problem resetting the filter light and changing the filter in your Samsung refrigerator.
Download this cheat sheet to hack your monthly electric bill.
Can A Refrigerator Be Plugged Into A Regular Outlet?
Are you wondering whether you can plug your refrigerator into a regular outlet? Learn everything you need to know in this article!
How To Reset A Refrigerator Compressor (7 Step Guide)
If your fridge is making weird sounds or not working, it could be the compressor. Learn how to reset a refrigerator compressor in 7 steps.